Stretch Goal for the Year

Goal

Become a better musician and instrumentalist

Why

I used to play guitar and drum set when I was younger, but I stopped for the trumpet. Recently I have wanted to begin playing the two instruments again.

How

I will work on this goal at the beginning of class (first 10 minutes of class), then outside of class, 5-7x a week for at least an hour each day, each instrument.

Resources

Material wise, I will have access to a guitar and drum set, which I both have at my house. I also know guitars and sets are here at CHS. Other than those, I will need consistency and dedication for learning back these instruments.

Milestones

• Dec. 1, 2017, I want to be able to play a paradiddle on the snare drum and play some of the basic chords on the guitar.

• Feb. 1, 2018, I want to be able to play a collection of basic snare drum patterns.

• March 30, 2018, I would like to be able to play a single and double roll. I also want to be able to play single and double paradiddles.
  • May 1, 2018, I would like to be able to play multiple rhythms on the drum set (straight, swing, shuffle, etc.).

Heroes

• Buddy Rich
    • American Jazz Drummer during the 20th century
    • Was known as “the world’s greatest drummer” during his career
    • He was known for his technique, speed, and power as a drummer
  • Gene Krupa
    • American Jazz and Big Band drummer during the 20th century
    • Known for his energetic and flamboyant style
    • Famously featured on the 1930’s swing tune “Sing, Sing, Sing”
    • Gave new meaning to the drum set in swing music and jazz as a whole