My Presentation

Step 1 – Summary of Project

I created this presentation to demonstrate my skills and understanding when it comes to building a presentation using multiple tools (Flickr, SlidesShare, etc.). During the making of this presentation, I learned more about the science of creating content. Separating tasks that use the right side of the brain with the left side is crucial to efficiently take on creative and analytical work. I did this project to learn all about that, as well as sharing with a group of people about me.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

Creating a good presentation involves accomplishing multiple steps in order to achieve something successful. Following the Make it Stick “SUCCESs” model will help you create an excellent presentation and give something the audience will remember you by. For this presentation specifically, I kept it simple. Pictures on some slides, and only words on others. With that, it also is very concrete. Because of the simplicity, it gets across to the audience with ease. With those examples, anyone can create a “sticky” presentation.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Brainwriting and brainstorming are essential to the creative process. In order to create excellent content, you need to start somewhere so you can generate good ideas. That is where the act of brainwriting comes in. On your own, throwing any idea that pops into your mind down on a sheet of paper is the first step. However, trying to do the analytical-left side of the brain tasks can short-circuit this step. After you have thought about potential ideas for some time, move onto the next step: brain-storming. With another person or a group, sharing your brainwrite can give you good feedback on what to and not include in the final presentation. Plus, if another has put down an idea you had not thought of, you can include that in your own.

EXAMPLE:

CC Image by chase1299

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

In the world of television, writers storyboard out episodes to more visualize story arcs. This task falls under the category of rough drafts. It is a crude organization of your ideas used for the purpose of having a visual aid to then continue to modify and eventually create a presentation on. Doing this step before the actual slideshow is essential for maximizing productivity and creativity. When you storyboard on an electronic device, distractions are inevitable. On contrary, using a physical piece of paper will keep you away from the temptations of the internet and give you the space necessary to draft out your ideas.

CC Image by chase1299
CC Image by chase1299

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

When somebody creates any form of work, it is theirs, and therefore may not be used unless the creator has given mutual or direct consent. For the United States, the Copyright Act of 1976 was enacted to protect creators and other artists alike so no work was used without being cited. Citing the origin of a source is important for two big reasons. One, the creator receives credit for whatever work they made. Sometimes these works take time to create and may be created in order to pay the bills. Two, you would not want to get in trouble from the creator for stealing content, as they could follow with a legal suit. This is obviously avoidable though, as long as you cite your source.

The Creative Commons was created 23 years after the Copyright Act of 1976 was put in place. This organization made up a license that creators can slap on their work allowing mutual fair-use between other creators who wish to build upon the art they created. Using images specifically from the CC in a presentation allows works to be featured in another creator’s work fairly and freely.

CC Image by chase1299

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

The master slide of your slideshow will stabilize the format of which your presentation will follow. The background and text color, in conjunction with the position of the text/images, must be defined on the first slide. Why is this done? It is a more efficient way to get the slideshow portion of your presentation finished. You will not have to mess around with forthcoming slides if you pre-format the first.

EXAMPLE: 

CC Image Master slide by chase1299

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

1. Building the slideshow is very simple and can be one of the easiest tasks if you let it be. In the example provided below, I use black slides with white text to communicate my dialogue. I do not use slides full of texts, as that can take away the auditory part of the presentation. Pictures as well are independent with some slides just having pictures.

EXAMPLE: 

CC Image Building a presentation by chase1299

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

1. Using Slideshare.net to upload your presentation is not only a great way to keep your documents and slideshows organized, but your content can reach an outside audience of which you are presenting to.

Link to Presentation

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

1. 7 Sins of Speaking
    1. Gossip
    2. Judging others
    3. Negativity
    4. Complaining
    5. Excuses
    6. Penultimate
    7. Dogmatism
  2. All add up to just being noise and featuring bad acoustics.
  3. Four Cornerstones of Powerful Speaking
    1. Honesty
      1. Clear, transparent, and straight to the audience
    2. Authenticity – Being yourself
    3. Integrity – Be your word
    4. Love- Wish well
  4. Toolbox of speaking
    1. Register – vocal range
    2. Timbre – feeling/tone of voice
    3. Prosody – do not be monotonous
    4. Pace – Emphasize
    5. Silence can be powerful
    6. Pitch
    7. Volume
  5. Body Language
    1. With non-verbals, you can change the whole tone of a presentation without a word. Be dominant while presenting (but not too dominant). Have pride, open up, and if you happen to be more introverted, fake it until you make it. Studies have shown that teaching your body behaviors can trick your mind into following those behaviors.

Step 10 – What I Learned

Through this project, I added onto my learning of making effective and efficient presentations and as well as new skills. For the slideshow portion, I learned how different a presentation can feel with the simplicity of a sentence/word or picture on a slide alone. While this is simple, it can make a huge impact on whatever you are trying to get across. For the presenting portion, I added on to what I knew previously from debate my freshman year of high school and presentations from other classes. However, I did learn the science behind these presentation techniques that I had not learned before. Whether it be in other classes, college, or a future job, I will remember the techniques I practiced and use them in whatever scenario I may be in.

0 comments on “My PresentationAdd yours →